News5 August 2021
Vacancy on Chios: (International) Legal Choordinator
Our office on Chios is operating since 2017. For that office, we are looking for an (International) Legal Coordinator. Please find the full announcement here.
Deadline to apply: 20/08/2021
Please apply by completing this form.
On Chios, our legal aid services will focus on counselling in the first instance procedure, on appeals against unlawful rejections and on family reunions. This includes informing asylum seekers about the procedure and the EU Turkey Deal, representing applicants in the asylum procedure and taking legal action against unlawful rejections, detention and deportations to Turkey.
The team will consist of one international legal coordinator, two Greek lawyers, one to two legal trainees and two to three interpreters.
For further questions please refer to firstname.lastname@example.org
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
- Counseling and representation in the first instance procedures
- Consisting of facilitating registration procedures, preparation for interviews in front of the asylum service or European Asylum Support Office, accompaniment to interviews and drafting of supporting legal memos;
- Representation in family reunification cases under the Dublin III Regulation
- Consisting of identifying eligible cases, gathering relevant documents, drafting legal memos and coordinating with the relevant Greek authorities.
- Intakes and case management of all new clients approaching the office or referred through other organizations;
- Representation of Equal Rights Beyond Borders Chios towards authorities & partners, including daily interaction with them;
- Coordinating communication between other Equal Rights’ offices, and the Kos office in particular, including preparing reports and office updates;
- Coordination with and supervision of office staff (Greek lawyer, interns and interpreters) for the sharing of responsibilities and the smooth operations of the office;
- Coordination of litigation efforts to national and international bodies, such as European Court of Human Rights, UN Tribunals, Greek Ombudsman;
- Advocacy activities consisting of challenging unjust practices and policies through advocacy, including report-writing and documentation;
- General coordination and management of Chios office, including developing internal practices and policies and managing finance of the office.
- law degree and/or specialization in European asylum law
- practical experience in the field of migration and asylum & administrative law
- experience working with vulnerable groups
- very good knowledge of EU and international asylum law
- very good knowledge of the refugee context at EU level
- ability to adapt to needs and to think creatively
- ability to self-start in a fast-paced and high-pressure work environment
- high resilience and flexibility
- fluency in English
- experience as counselor in the field of migration and asylum (potentially in the Greek context or border region)
- experience working abroad
- experience coordinating teams and groups
- experience working with interns or managing staff
- experience producing briefings and reports for advocacy purposes
- additional language skills (preferable: French, Arabic, Farsi, Pashtu or Dari)
- experience with family reunification under the Dublin III Regulation
Show list of all news